- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4 /5)
- 1 rating
- 2 tbs sunflower oil
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, sliced
- 1/3 cup (100g) laksa paste
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) chicken stock
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 1 tbs grated palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tbs fish sauce
- 1-2 tbs lime juice
- 8 quail eggs (or 4 regular eggs)
- 200g dried vermicelli rice noodles
- 2 cups (160g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- sliced red chilli, to garnish
- Heat oil in a wok over medium-high heat. Season chicken, then stir-fry, in batches, for 3-4 minutes until just golden. Remove chicken from wok and set aside. Add laksa paste and stir-fry for 1 minute until fragrant. Return the chicken and add the stock, coconut milk and 1/2 cup (125ml) water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked. Stir in sugar, fish sauce and lime juice to taste.
- Meanwhile, if using quail eggs, place in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat and cook for 3-4 minutes until hard-boiled. Rinse under cold water, then peel, halve and set aside.
- Cook the noodles according to packet instructions, then drain and divide among 4 serving bowls. Ladle over laksa and top with the bean sprouts, Thai basil, coriander, quail egg, shallot and chilli.