Stewed Chard with Sausage & Garlic
- Difficulty Level Moderate
- (4 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 pound fresh spicy sausage (not smoked)
- 2 pounds red Swiss chard (two big bunches)
- 2 yellow onions, peeled and diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry sherry
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- Sauté the onions in a large pot over medium heat until the are just translucent. Slit the casings of the sausage and add the filling to the onions. Break the sausage up with your wooden spoon and continue until it is just cooked (5 to 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, cut the chards into ribbons and remove most of the red stems. Dice the stems.
- As the sausage finishes cooking, add the garlic, ginger and stems, along with the paprika, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the onion softens. Add the chard ribbons slowly, handful by handful, stirring them in so that they wilt down and make room for more.
- Pour in the chicken stock, sherry, and cider vinegar and bring to a simmer. Put a lid on the pot and turn the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chard is tender.